Upper reaches of the Kumaon Himalayas host The Pindari Glacier, to the southeast of Nanda Devi, Nanda Kot. The glacier flows to the south for a short distance of about 3 KM and gives rise to the Pindari River which meets river Alakananda at Karnaprayag in the Garhwal district.
The trail to reach the glacier crosses the villages of Saung, Loharkhet, crosses over the Dhakuri Pass, and continues onto Khati village, Dwali, Phurkia and finally Zero Point (Pindar) the end of the trail. Though most of the trail is along the banks of the Pindari River, the river is mostly hidden until after Khati, which is last inhabited village on the trail.
It is one of the relatively easy to moderate grade trek compared to other Himalayan glaciers. Trail’s rugged beauty offers a breathtaking sight to nature lovers in all its pristine glory. The Pindari Glacier is an unsurpassable and an exhilarating experience.
Following schedule will help you cover the trail well,
1. Saung is the last well connected point, however you can avail shared jeeps till Loharkhet on the mountain road.
2. Trek from Loharkhet to Dhakuri (2680 mts, 11 kms) Overnight stay at Aswal Airways camp.
3. Dhakuri to Khati, (2210 mts, 8 kms), Overnight stay at Aswal Airways camp.
4. Khati to Phurkia past Dwali along the Pindari river (3110 mts, 18 kms) Overnight stay.
5. Visit Zero Point (3353 mts, 8 kms). Trek back from Zero point to Dwali, Overnight Stay
6.Trek back from Dwali to Khati (2210 mts, 11kms).
7. Get back to Saung.